"What is an Energy Model?"
In this free course, Chris Schaffner describes a variety of methods for modeling building energy consumption. He starts with simple energy estimating tools of increasing complexity, finally arriving at detailed energy simulations.
A few simple methods are described, and spreadsheets (listed below) built to use these methods are provided. The specific requirements of energy simulations are discussed, and the course concludes with a case study demonstrating the power of parametric energy simulations as a design tool.
Two excel documents included:
- Simplified Heat Recovery Calculator
- Simplified Ground Source Heat Pump Calculator
- Understand some of the reasons we use energy models
- Identify the key elements of an energy model
- Differentiate between energy simulations and other types of models
- Name different modeling and simulation software tools