Microgrids are the future of energy production and distribution, but very few people understand how to create a successful microgrid. In this course, microgrid expert Dr. Andrew Skumanich provides a practical foundation for understanding microgrids and how to build them.
The course includes a detailed view of the components that go into a microgrid as well as guidance on how to develop a business model, evaluate financing options, and navigate policy. An extended set of supporting tools for developing a microgrid—such as modeling software and system analyzers—are also discussed in detail. The key information is contextualized using case studies and direct learning from existing microgrid projects.
Since the microgrid segment is rapidly developing and evolving, the course will also highlight areas of opportunity for entrepreneurs and startup ventures.
- Identify the key components that comprise a microgrid.
- Examine the various challenges to implementing microgrids.
- Learn how to assemble the necessary components to create a functional microgrid.
- Explore optimization approaches using modeling and other tools.
- Learn how to develop a microgrid business model.
- Become familiar with the considerations for both U.S.-based and international microgrid deployment.