BPI Building Science Principles (BSP) Certificate launches in two weeks

Support Center Frequently Asked Questions Does HeatSpring have an iOS app?

Does HeatSpring have an iOS app?

Yes! HeatSpring has a new iPhone app for enrolled students. You can scan this QR code to download it and log into your HeatSpring account with Google or your username and password. We built it for people already taking HeatSpring courses. It minimizes the number of clicks it takes to do your next assignment. It’s a nice alternative to Facebook or ESPN or whatever apps you reach for in those free moments. We figure if it’s easy to keep learning, you’ll be more likely to finish the course, pass your exam, and get where you want to go. 

The app isn’t for finding new courses - it really just does that one thing. This is a totally optional tool that nobody is require to use. But if you try it, let us know what you think!

Download the app, sign into your account, and you’ll see all of your courses. Pick one and get started. The app is the quickest way to complete your assignments, so you’ll finish courses more quickly.

Download the HeatSpring iOS app to:

  • Access all of your course learning content

  • Stream videos, take quizzes, and view resources while on the go

  • Pick up where you left off: your course progress is automatically synced between the iPhone app and your web browser

  • Easily jump from lecture to lecture and between courses

  • Track your progress on a course-by-course basis

Using the HeatSpring iOS app is completely free. Once you’re enrolled in a course on HeatSpring, you get full access to the content by downloading the app.

It’s important to note that you can’t sign up for new courses in the app. There are no in-app purchases. It’s really just a tool for current students to access their learning content. You can sign up for new courses and access all of the HeatSpring functionality from any web browser.

Why release a mobile app now?

One-third of HeatSpring’s users arrive on their phone. So we’ve been thinking about building a HeatSpring app for fifteen years, but we could never satisfy these two criteria:

  1. It can’t be super expensive to create and maintain. 

  2. It can’t suck.

It was only in the past year that William (our lead developer) presented a simple approach that would be easy to maintain but also useful for customers. Importantly, the app is only built for students that are already enrolled in courses. The experience is simple and straightforward for them. Everybody else should continue using web version.

By constraining the users and purpose-building the app for them, we can be more focused and do less. That’s how we’ve finally arrived at a solution is affordable and doesn’t suck.

Why iOS? When will there be an Android version?

60% of our mobile users are on iPhones. The other 40% are on Android. So we started with the bigger audience and will move next to the Android app. 

We’re getting a lot of user feedback now. We’ll use that feedback to make the iOS app better over the next couple of months and when it’s at a stable point we will create the Android version.

How will you know if it is working?

The metric we’re watching is ‘engagement’. Two-thirds of our users are on desktop and 54% of their visits are ‘engaged visits’, where they spend time exploring and learning. Among iOS users, only 43% of their visits are engaged visits.

A lot of things could explain that lack of engagement on iPhones, but it would be cool if we could make those visits more valuable. Our business model doesn’t rely completely on eyeballs, but our value is tied to the quality of the learning experience and the outcomes we can help people achieve. So if we make it easier and more fun to learn, it makese sense that those engagement numbers will go up.

If we can improve engagement, we begin to impact downstream metrics like course completions, exam success, career advancement, and ultimately decaronization.

The use of technology such as cookies allows HeatSpring to operate and improve the functionality of our website and derive insights about our audience.

You can read more about our privacy policy here.