Solar Financial Modeling Courses
Our two most popular courses on solar finance are the Solar Executive MBA Training and Financial Modeling for Solar PV Projects. Both of these courses are taught by finance and legal expert Chris Lord, and the Solar Executive MBA Training is co-taught by solar business expert Keith Cronin.
We get a lot of questions about these courses, and many students want to compare the two. Often students take both of these courses as part of our Solar Finance Professional Certificate program.
First, let's review what both courses have in common:
For both courses:
- Participants get access to all content upon enrollment and for 1 full year after enrollment.
- The instructors answer questions on the discussion board and review required project work
- They are both intensive online courses intended for experienced professionals in the industry.
- An Excel financial model tool is included in the course materials and used for your project work. Each model is quite detailed (breakdown of costs, production, etc), but, more importantly, the models give you the tools and understanding to add any additional details you need.
- International students are welcome! Approximately 20-30% of the content is specific to the United States. The remaining 70-80% would apply to any location internationally. The instructors are very open and supportive of international students and projects.
Next, let's focus on the differences. The content is completely different in both courses, and the financial models used are also different. Other differences include:
Solar Executive MBA Training view detailed outline
- 6 modules
- Co-taught by Chris Lord and Keith Cronin
- Financial model is a little simpler but you get to learn more about the drivers behind tax equity, Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) depreciation, and investment tax credit (ITC).
- Inputs for the model are geared a bit more toward a commercial-scale project, but the size can be scaled up or down as necessary.
- This is an advanced course, but it does have more introductory content intended for students who may have experience in solar or finance but desire a better understanding of how commercial solar projects are developed, structured, and financed.
- Also includes content related to selling, creating proposals, organizing your team, and increasing the profit margins of your projects.
Financial Modeling for Solar PV Projects view detailed outline
- 5 modules
- Taught by Chris Lord
- Financial model has more detail and is done as a quarterly model (a little more complex) and includes a more complex partnership flip model.
- Inputs for the model are geared a bit more toward a utility-scale project, but the size can be scaled up or down as necessary.
- Content focuses a little less on the technical/legal issues behind the tax equity investment.
- More advanced content intended for students who already have a good general understanding of how solar projects are developed, structured, and financed.
Solar Finance Professional Certificate view more info
Complete both courses and earn your Solar Finance Masters Series Certificate. If you take both courses, we recommend starting with the Solar Executive MBA Training. Enroll in our series package for additional savings.